We did a poll some time last week to ask about whether healthy recipes or delicious meals are more important and about 70% of you said your food must taste good. Well I'm a little disappointed coz I was hoping more of you would be health conscious but it's alright, I'm here to give you that little push!
Many of us also assume that healthy foods are boring, tasteless and unsatisfying. And the thought of eating a bowl full of greens just puts you off. During this circuit breaker period, I have been experimenting a lot in the kitchen, making sure my family eats relatively healthy and still enjoy our meals together.
We even started to have twice a week strictly no meat days (my husband is a huge chicken fan, so this is really a big step for him.) and I was cracking my head so hard on how to entice him to this new eating habit.
Today I'm sharing with you one of my favourite dip recipes - Guacamole. It's super healthy as the main ingredient is Avocado and it’s so spicy and yummy. To make it more suited to our taste buds, I've added cili padi. You can serve at snack time, or even as a side dish for a meal. Here in this photo, I have prepared Pumpkin + Pomegranate Salad, Baked Sweet Potatoes and Guacamole Dip. I bought some tortila chips (not the healthiest) to give it a nice mix.
Recipe for Guacamole (Asian style) Dip
Prep time: 10mins, Serves a bowl for 4 persons
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice or lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons to 1/4 cup of minced red onion
- 1-2 Birds eye chilli (cili padi)
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- A dash of black pepper
- 1/2 ripe tomato
- Tortilla chips, to serve
1) Cut open the avocado and remove the flesh.
2) Smash them with a fork. Do not over blend as it nice to have some avocado chunks.
3) Chop the onions, tomatoes into cubes.
4) Finely chop the birds eye chilli and cilantro.
5) Mix everything it and give it a good stir.
- Salt and pepper add to your liking. If you don't like it too spicy, you can remove the birds eye chilli but it gives it a nice Asian kick.
- Chill a few hours before serving.
Have fun cooking, and if you are one who never liked avocados, this recipe will break that barrier! Avocados are very rich in nutrients and good fats, so if you want to start snacking healthy, this dish is a winner! I also love to serve my guests with platter of chips and dips. Healthy + Yummy.
PS: Last day to get our printed aprons; Minty Fresh and I'm wearing SG Lets Makan design.
1 for $29, 2 for $50. Click here to shop.